Monday, February 8, 2010

TwentyEight - Day 8

Read Matthew 8.

Take a closer look at the first four verses. After healing a man with leprosy, Jesus utters some peculiar words: "See that you don't tell anyone." I can only imagine what this man was thinking. "Seriously? Don't tell anyone that I was just healed from a skin disease that at this time is incurable; a disease that caused me to be banned and segregated from the rest of society? Don't tell anyone?! You must be kidding!" I have to admit, it doesn't seem right to me either. But, just because it doesn't make sense to you and me, doesn't mean that Jesus didn't have very good reason for saying it.

There are a number of reasons Jesus may have given this command. He may not have wanted people to focus solely on His miracles. He may not have wanted the publicity of His miracles getting in the way of His teaching. Timing is everything. He may not have wanted to raise additional opposition to His ministry (which might have prematurely lead to His death) before He had completed His mission.

Proverbs 3:5-12 says, "Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track." (MSG) Regardless of His reasoning or the limit of our own understanding, we must FOLLOW His commands without question. As the song says, "Where you lead me I will FOLLOW, I'm trusting in what you say."

[vimeo 7269557]

No comments: