Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'28' - Day 24

Acts 24:16, "So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man."

What a POWERFUL goal!

Whenever I think of my "conscience" I can't help but remember Disney's Jiminy Cricket in Mickey's Christmas Carol who was fond of dancing around in his crooked little top hat and umbrella singing “and always let your conscience be your guide.” While that sounds all fine and good, what if you have a poor conscience? What if it's a lousy guide? By what standard is your conscience set?

A clear conscience is listed in Scripture as one of our essential weapons for successful spiritual life and ministry. A good conscience involves a freedom that comes when we know that God is not offended by our thoughts and actions. When a good conscience is corrupted (by being calibrated to a lower "standard"), one's faith, prayer life, communion with God and life as a whole is seriously damaged. If people reject a good conscience, that will result in the shipwreck of their faith. (1 Timothy 1:19)

With all due respect to Jiminy Cricket, I believe the better choice is to always let the Holy Spirit be our guide.

No comments: