Friday, February 20, 2009

'28' - Day 20

sheepActs 20:28 contains an interesting picture of what the job of a pastor really is. It says, “KEEP WATCH over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. BE SHEPHERDS of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.”

I’ve always thought that one my primary responsibilities as a pastor is to feed the sheep. After all, Jesus said in John 21 to “feed my lambs”, “take care of my sheep”, and “feed my sheep.” As such, I need to promote the faith. I need to preach the Word. I need to correct, rebuke and encourage, carefully and patiently, but refusing only to say what people what to hear. However, if you think about it, that’s not what shepherds do. Now, I’m not saying preaching the Word is not a part of what I need to do as a pastor, but consider this. The shepherd doesn’t go out and cut the grass and hold it out in his hand for the sheep to eat. The shepherd simply leads the sheep to green pastures and they eat.

A bigger responsibility is perhaps “keeping watch over the sheep.” God, through Christ and by the Holy Spirit, is so concerned about each of his children, that he desires us to love, care for, protect, guide and be near to each child of God, just as a good shepherd does for his own sheep.

I’ve had a fair number of parents over the years get on my case about watching over their precious little lambs. How dare I tell their kids what they should and shouldn’t do. How dare I hold their kids accountable for their actions. How dare I discipline their kids. How dare I correct their children. How dare I… After all, I’m JUST their YOUTH PASTOR.

I am responsible for each sheep entrusted to my care. If that sheep leaves the flock, I am responsible. If that sheep gets hurt, I am responsible. If that sheep dies, I am responsible. I must protect them. It is my job. It is my duty. It is my calling.

No comments: