Monday, December 8, 2008

Time Management

Saturday, March 18, 2073.  According to www.deathclock.com, based on my date of birth, height, weight, body type, general attitude on life, and the fact that I'm a non-smoker, that's the day I'll die.  I don't give a lot of credence to it, but it is interesting to watch the seconds slowly tick away.   Just over 2 billion seconds to go!  What if that time was much shorter? 

Sometimes, I'm not a good manager of my time.  Traditionally, I've been a procrastinator, waiting to the last possible moment to do that big report, or finish that project or do what I need to do to meet the deadline.  Sometimes that's worked, most of the time it hasn't.  I've become acutely aware that if I don't manage my time, it will manage me.  As we consider what we'd do differently with our lives if we found out we had ONE MONTH TO LIVE, I wonder how well I'd manage my time.  In Sunday School yesterday, we talked through some things we'd like to do before we died and how much time we'd spend doing them.  As it turned out, we came up six or eight things that we'd spend exactly 30 days doing; one month.  The problem was, we all decided that those weren't the only things we'd want to do.  In order to accomplish more, we would have to be better managers of our time.

I heard someone say recently that "what matters most must never be at the mercy of what matters least."  It's been said that when faced with death, no one has ever wished they had spent more time at work and less time with family.  In order to better manage our time, we may have to refocus our priorities.  Consider Ephesians 5:15-17 (NLT)  "So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise.  Make the most of ever opportunity for doing good in these evil days.  Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do."

What's most important to you in life?  Does your time reflect that?  What changes would you like to make before time runs out?

No comments: