Thursday, December 4, 2008

Discovering Your Gifts

We started a new series in Youth last night called TREASURE HUNTERS. It’s Christmas; everyone wants gifts. Some are more important than others. Some are temporary. Some are long-lasting. We’re going to talk about the gifts of the Spirit, Baptism in the Holy Spirit, and the greatest gift of all, Jesus. This week…DISCOVERING YOUR GIFTS.

Three points:

1. We all have gifts.  Mine aren't the same as yours.  Just as an ear is no better than an eye, one gift or talent is no better than another.  Romans 12:6-8 talks about spiritual gifts, but what other gifts and talents do you have?  One of mine is playing the trumpet.  God gave me that gift.  Even with very little practice, I can play exceptionally well.  With practice, I do even better.  One of the things my parents stipulated in my learning to play an instrument was that if my ability to play was evident as a God-given gift, then I must use it for His glory.  Over the years, I've played in a variety of venues and for countless people.  But what I enjoy the most is playing on the worship team at church, with my eyes closed, strictly as an act of worship to God.

2. My gifts aren't any better than yours.  From time to time, I've looked at other trumpet players and said, "I wish I could do that."  I wish I was a good performer, or could play professionally, or play in a band or whatever.  I thought was cool many years ago when an old friend of mine built and played his own bass guitar.  Now, he's playing on a worship team for a major record label.  It's sometimes easy to look at the gifts that others have and want their gifts.  What it comes down to is that God gave us all a unique set of gifts, and if we use them as He has called us to, we work together to edify the entire Body of Christ.  As such, I'm content to be a trumpet worshiper in the local church, hopefully creating a unique worship experience that will edify the local Body of Christ.  Others are called to take their gifts and talents beyond these walls.

3. Use them or lose them.  Whenever you receive a gift, there are three things that you must do with it.  You must accept it, you must open it, and you must use it.  If I had accepted the gift of trumpet playing, but chosen to play the sax instead, my gift would have been of no value.  If I had accepted my, but never opened it and developed my gift, it would have been of no value.  Several years ago, I received a rotary tool for Christmas.  I thought it was really cool when I got it and opened it, but have never opened the package to use it.  As such, it's been of no use to me.  Several months ago, I received an iPod shuffle as a gift.  I had intended to return it to the store and apply the credit to a "larger, better" iPod, but I never have, so it's been of no use to me; except to act as a paperweight on my desk.  It's the same with our God-given gifts and talents.  If I don't practice my trumpet, and use my gift, my ability to play well is greatly diminished.  If we don't accept, open and use our gifts we'll lose them, and they'll be of no use to us or anyone else in the Body of Christ.

What gifts has God given you, and how are you using them?

No comments: