Monday, December 1, 2008

Forget Not All His Benefits

A couple of months ago, a good friend of mine challenged me to read Psalm 103:2-5, paying particular attention to verse 2, where it says, "and forget not ALL his benefits."

For me, anytime I see the word ALL, I pay particularly close attention to the context in which it is being used. Especially when used in Biblical text. "ALL" allows for no exclusions or exceptions. It is whole. It is full. It encompasses the entire extent of subject it references. ALL is an extreme word.

Often, when you look for a new job, the benefits that come with it are just as important as the salary you receive: Paid Time Off, Health Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Matching Contributions to your 401K, Corporate Discounts, Housing Allowance, Company Car, Uniform Allowance.  The list goes on. 

As I thought about this, I thought about the ALL of the "benefits" I have as a Christ-follower. Some are mentioned in this passage of scripture: Christ forgives of ALL of my sins, He heals ALL my diseases, He redeems my life from the pit of Hell, He surrounds me with love and compassion, He fills my life with good things.

Here are some others:

  • Grace - forgiveness, a past that's paid, a better-than-I-deserve-life

  • Good health - instant access to the Great Physician

  • The Holy Spirit - a whole extra dimension of God's power

  • Eternal Life - call it "Long Term Care" or "Free Life Insurance"

  • Love that never fails

  • The joy of the Lord

  • A wonderful spouse

  • An amazing family and extended family

  • A great job

  • A voice to praise

  • Rest

  • Peace that passes all understanding

  • Compassion for those less fortunate than I

  • Provision


What are some of the "benefits" you have?  Let's not forget them!

No comments: